[Marxism] RE: Ali G

David Quarter davidquarter at sympatico.ca
Tue Jul 20 21:37:42 MDT 2004

 Agree with much of what Calvin wrote. I would however add a few points  which are
coloured by my experiences growing up around hip hop culture as
well as being someone of mixed (black/white) heritage:

 First, LONG before the Ali Gs and Eminems of the
world came into the picture, hip hop had been transformed *from*
a form of black urban 'ghetto' expression (
started by black and  Puerto Rican youth in
the Bronx New York)
*into* a mainstream music  industry
controlled by corporate America targeting primarily
surburban white, middle class teens. I call this transformation the
destruction of old school hip hop.
The exact date that this process started is impossible to pinpoint,
although I imagine the growth in popularity of
of west coast "gangsta" rap in the mid 90s (started by the NWA fad)
 and the introduction
of Puff Daddy and the Bad Boy label did much to  propell it. Here's
where you start seeing what I call New School rap, i.e., rap without
a real message, which has really been a collasal break from hip
hop of the old school, and which contains LOTS OF SEXISM.
This is not to suggest that hip hop of the past contained no sexism.
Sexism has been around in
hip hop culture for as long as rap has existed (which is a reflection
of the conditions of black women in
the urban USA past and present)
Yet with the new school generation of rappers you get MUCH MORE
denigrating images of black women being presented.
 You also find many more rapppers who don't actually present a
message apart from talking about how much money they got, how
many hoes they've pimped, guns they pack, "niggas" they've shot,
time they've done in the pen, etc.

What were once referred to as "conscious rappers" (as seen with
groups like Public enemy,
and black female rappers like Mc Lyte), i.e., rappers
who challenged stereotypical images of black men and
women, have all but vanished now (I know of none to-day, although
I must admit that I've become quite detached from hip hop culture
since about 1997).

In contrast to the new school phase of hip hop, I see the Old
school as having represented a modern phase of
rebeliousness of black urban youth. It was, as a form a Urban black
culture,a product of the surbodinate condition of
black youth in America, of the crystillization of hundreds of years
of exploitation of black people by white America. The message
being presented of black people in rap music was meant to counteract the stereotypical images of
blacks in  hollywood, the media, and the rest of mainstream
('white') society. Consequently,  there is none of that harmonious
upbeat message
and rythyms obvious in 'black' music produced in
the 30s, 40s 50s, perhaps aside from the Blues).

 In that sence,  Rap music of the old genereation was a form of rebellion against the notion of
harmonious America, but it was also also offering a
alternative/solution that contained a revolutionary message of empowerment
and progress for black people  (i.e., black power). In that sense, it
is I feel a misnomer to label  the process of mainstreaming hip hop
music "the denigration of urban black culture". Rap music WAS
meant ( at least, in its initial phase) to describe/critique  the (ONGOING)
**denigeration of black people** by white America, yet while silmutaneously
advocating change. It wasn't TRYING TO  glorify these conditions,
as you see nowaday with hip hop, as what
is really to glorify about growing up dirt poor, surrounded by drugs and
gangs and having a better chance of getting your life cut short than
in many war zones?

Old school rap was **every bit as much** a
remedy to the conditions facing black people in the U.S
as it was a description of their plight. In contrast,
 the direction that hip hop culture has taken since the mid
90s (as represented with the people like Puff Daddy, Eminem and the Ali G show) has seen much of this
revolutionary fervour evoporate.

DOQ

From:           	"Calvin Broadbent" <calvinbroadbent at hotmail.com>