[Marxism] Re: Some comments on Yoshie's obit for the antiwar

B. Castleberry bcastleberry1hsd at earthlink.net
Tue Jul 20 22:23:20 MDT 2004

 >Jose G. Perez wrote:
 >a YSA'er who was national
 >secretary of the SMC ("student mobe")

Yes, the Student Mobilization Committee...  I was three years behind
you, (born 1954).  By 1969 the Movement had penetrated even to the
conservative bastion that is central Florida.  A long-haired student
showed up at my high school talking about stuff like the Port Huron
Statement and the Panthers.  It was a local issue, (the school board
wanted to put a fence around the school), that sparked our demo.  Our
armbands declared our allegiance.  I still have a copy of the SMC
broadsheet I passed out, uniting our struggle with the greater one.  The
Sheriff's Department came down on us like a ton of bricks. We were all
suspended.  Some of us, (not I), vanished, returning with advice on how
to dodge the draft.

Ah, well, thanks for that.  Regrets aside, raise a glass to the YSA and
the SMC.

BC