[Marxism] RE: Ali G

Calvin Broadbent calvinbroadbent at hotmail.com
Wed Jul 21 05:25:45 MDT 2004

Hi,

Criticising Ali G neither makes one a liberal nor humourless. If the workers
find Ali G funny, then so much the worse for them- I don't, particularly.
God forbid anyone on the left shouldn't pander to the systematic cultural
degradation of the working class. Frankly, much of the cultural dregs 'the
workers' have to settle for do their minds no good. Many (probably mostly
English) workers will have fouind that other white man's black stereotype,
Jim Davidson's 'Chalkie', totally hilarious. Should I have laughed along
with them in the 1970s, for fear they would otherwise find me 'priggish'?
Ali G contributed to the cartoonification of black people and black culture.
His ilk have helped a vital, and oftimes powerfully subversive and always
vibrant, urban black culture, popularly synonymous with words like 'bitch',
'gangsta' and 'nigga' (with or without the 'er', its the same word). So much
is this the case that you will find people who have never met a black person
before use the word 'nigger' like there was no tomorrow. (Witness, if any of
you have been bored enough, the recent altercation between black Londonder
Victor and a silly girl in the Big Brother house. Upon entering the house,
the girl, who has probably never seen London, greeted her new housemate
'hello nigger. whats happening nigger'). Ali G bears some responsibility for
this silliness. Nuff said.

PS As the RCP USA used to say, politically correct just means politically
right.