[Marxism] Making a stand by sitting down

Les Schaffer schaffer at optonline.net
Wed Jul 21 09:53:33 MDT 2004

Louis Proyect quoted:

> It was Selig, in the aftermath of Sept. 11, who ordered all teams to
> play "God Bless America," injecting a political statement into the games.
>
> "I don't honestly think that politicizes the issue," Selig said,
> calling the playing of the anthem a matter of respect. "After all, we
> do have troops in Iraq and Afghanistan."

there was recently a series of 3 articles in the Washington Post on
Owner Selig's wheelings-and-dealings in the world of Ma$or Lea$ue Ba$eball:

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/articles/A7597-2004Jun26.html
http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/articles/A10599-2004Jun27.html
http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/articles/A13386-2004Jun28.html

in there you can read, for example, how Bush Jr worked a little
primitive accumulation dealing in baseball teams in Texas and ratcheting
up his working capital:

"In 1989, George W. Bush invested $606,000 as part of an investment
group that purchased the Texas Rangers. Largely because of the
construction of a publicly financed stadium -- the Ballpark at
Arlington, now known as Ameriquest Field -- the group sold the team to
Hicks nine years later for $250 million. Bush's reported share was $14.9
million; the 2,358 percent return on his investment made him financially
secure enough to enter politics."

read the Post series to see how a patriotic American (Selig) does
publicly financed stadiums.

Les Schaffer