[Marxism] RE: Ali G

Louis Proyect lnp3 at panix.com
Wed Jul 21 11:29:37 MDT 2004

David Quarter wrote:

>  In arguing that Ali G. is trying to "represent black people" the
> assumption is that most black people dress in baggy clothes,
> speak very broken English and more generally behave like idiots.
> Obviously, you've  swallowed some very degrading and racist
> assumptions/stereotypes of black people to believe that.

I don't know about black people in general, but Ali G is certainly
imitating a certain kind of black rapper. Like the kind that are
featured on MTV's Crib show or the kind that perform on Soultrane. If
they aren't in need of satire, then I don't know who is frankly. The
other thing is how people he is interviewing him never ask the obvious
question about what the fuck he is. He is obviously not a black man to
the guy in this segment who is throwing him out of his office. When Ali
G asks him if he is being rejected because he is black, the Hollywood
executive has the reaction any normal person would have: "Are you black?"

 >>Ali G in Hollywood

Check out Ali G pitching his ideas to a studio executive in Hollywood.
Get ready for the premiere of Da Ali G Show on Friday, February 21st at
12:30am ET.<<

http://www.hbo.com/alig/video/

The big joke for me is how anybody can assume he is black. He looks even
more Jewish than me. I think the show is less about a critique of black
rappers as it is about the idiocy of people in charge of bourgeois
society. When Ali G suggests to Brent Snowcroft that we drop a nuclear
bomb on Canada because they "weren't expecting it", Snowcroft takes the
suggestion as a reasonable one. I think there is disgusting Amos and
Andy humor in pop culture, but you'll find it mainly on the Don Imus
show in the morning and--I'm sad to say--many of the black-oriented
situation comedies on mainstream television.

--

The Marxism list: www.marxmail.org