[Marxism] RE: Ali G

Calvin Broadbent calvinbroadbent at hotmail.com
Wed Jul 21 12:00:57 MDT 2004

Hi,

There is, regrettably, some truth in what Louis has to say about the rappers
featured on 'Cribs', 'Soultrane', or the stars of some popular black
comedies. This, however, has more to do with the functioning of the
corporate culture industry, than about the reality of 'authentic' black
culture. (I don't want to suggest, however, that all of the *apparently*
vulgar materialist popular rap is worthless- its often quite empowering and
vital, and not so vulgar as it might appear). It is well known, and obvious,
that for a rapper to stay afloat in a very competitive industry and get a
major label contract, he will have to promote the agenda of his employers.
How likely is it that you would see Californian rapper Paris perform tracks
from his recent 'Sonic Jihad' LP on MTV? Not very- which is why he is lucky
to have his own label- guerillafunk records.

Louis Proyect Wrote:

>I don't know about black people in general, but Ali G is certainly
>imitating a certain kind of black rapper. Like the kind that are featured
>on MTV's Crib show or the kind that perform on Soultrane. If they aren't in
>need of satire, then I don't know who is frankly.

As for Mine's comments- firstly, what exactly is wrong with opposing
pornography on moral grounds? Secondly, when I climb down from my pulpit, I
plan to initiate laws which ensure that the viewing or enjoyment of Ali G by
workers is punishable by death.