[Marxism] RE: Ali G

Calvin Broadbent calvinbroadbent at hotmail.com
Wed Jul 21 13:43:19 MDT 2004

Hi,

British (English really) rap I have listened to and enjoyed includes hijack,
gunshot, uk apache, london posse, rodney p, skinnyman, marxman, lewis
parker, task force, new flesh 4 old, fun'da'mental, ricochet klashnekoff,
phi life cypher, the planets, and lots of others besides. None of these at
all evinces the stupid 'rap' culture Ali G parodies. By no means is Ali G
alone reponsible for the stereotype of the stupid fake (wannabe american)
rap fan, but he helps propogate and enforce the popularity of this kind of
rap, at the expense of a popular and serious appreciation of the cultural
value and significance of some of the best hip hop music. Anyway, I think
the 'ali g' aspect of this thread has run dry. All in all, I think Ali G may
have had *some* comedic value in his earlier incarnations (albeit with all
of the qualifications suggested by my earlier posts) but as his popularity
grew, and he started being more of a (marketable) *character* in himself,
the limitations of the satirical side of the comedy became clear, and he
became an increasingly farcical parody.

cheers.