[Marxism] RE: Ali G

Calvin Broadbent calvinbroadbent at hotmail.com
Thu Jul 22 04:36:41 MDT 2004

Hi,

I do not suggest that Ali G, or rather his creator Sacha Baron Cohen is a
full-fledged racist like Davidson, not at all. The point I was making is
that Ali G, whatever his intentions (which I don't consider that laudable at
any rate), is helping to popularise a stereotypical image of black people
and black culture, as much as, if not more than Thatcherite alcoholic comic
Jim Davidson did in the 1970s and '80s. Bernard Manning never actually
performed as a black stereotype (and the fact that Ali G is actually white
is somewhat besides the point I fear), like Jim Davidson and Baron Cohen- he
simply slandered and spitefully characatured black people in his revolting
stage shows. I think, as someone else wrote, that many people who enjoy Ali
G find black culture (which hip hop originally IS, regardless of the world
artists Mine cites) similarly stupid and amusing. I will say it one last
time, I think Ali G's comedy, and the parody of perhaps the most vital new
Western cultural form of the last two decades,  is detrimental to black
people in particular and working class people in general. Were I to dress up
as a white muslim in the current British climate, and emulate the worst
*establishment views* of Islam (mysogyny, fanaticism, or whatever else), in
order to show the absurdity of said stereotypes, *in just the same way Ali G
does* I reckon I would be justly accused of racial stereotyping. As for all
this talk by Phil of liberal paternalism and all the rest- I repeat one last
time, I am not that way inclined.

As for the comparison of Ali G's comedy with the Monty Python lot- I hope we
don't have to discuss their politics again, as James Daly elucidated them
years ago on this list!
Anyway, I will say no more- those who enjoy Ali G, laugh it up. But the next
time your children comes around saying 'nigger this' and 'bitch that', don't
blame me.