[Marxism] RE: Ali G

Einde O'Callaghan einde at gmx.de
Thu Jul 22 14:14:34 MDT 2004

Calvin Broadbent wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I do not suggest that Ali G, or rather his creator Sacha Baron Cohen is
> a full-fledged racist like Davidson, not at all. The point I was making
> is that Ali G, whatever his intentions (which I don't consider that
> laudable at any rate), is helping to popularise a stereotypical image of
> black people and black culture,

But this isn't what he's doing at all - he's satirising a type of WHITE
individual to be found in British suburbs - young men who would like to
be black and who try to dress and talk like stereotype rappers because
they think it's cool, much cooler than being a nerd or a dweeb (or
whatever the current term is) from the suburbs.

Einde O'Callaghan