[Marxism] RE: Ali G

Einde O'Callaghan einde at gmx.de
Thu Jul 22 14:28:51 MDT 2004

David Quarter wrote:
> Date sent:      	Wed, 21 Jul 2004 20:36:47 +0200
> From:           	Einde O'Callaghan <einde at gmx.de>
>
>>loupaulsen at comcast.net wrote:
>><snip>
>>
>>>I admit to being very suspicious of any routine that depends for its humor on a white man dressing up as a Black stereotype.  This was the basis of the Amos 'n' Andy radio show, and of "minstrel" shows for that matter, and they got a lot of laughs in their time too, and their critics (if any)
>
> were probably also accused of being humorless PC twits..
>

> Quoting Einde O'Callaghan:
>
>>I think this is missing the whole point. Ali G isn't a parody of a black
>>man but of a white man who is a would-be black man. There is a big
>>difference and such pathetic types do actually exist in Britain -
>>although not perhaps in quite the extreme form presented by Sascha Cohen.
>>

> If you consider an Arab person a "white man", then Ali G. is certainly
> a parody of a "white man who is would-be black man".

Sascha Baron Cohen isn't an Arab - as his name should make clear.

>   Yes -- and how pathetic for a "white" man to act "black"?

No it's not pathetic for a white guy to act black - but some of these
white guys from the suburbs are quite pathetic - mainly because they
miss the point and pick up a stereotype.

Quite a lot of white youth fashion in Britain over the years has had its
roots in the Afro-Caribbean community (without necessarily poaying on
stereotypes) - even the original ska-loving skinheads of the 1960s
(before the skinheads became identified with right-wing violence) were
copying the close-cropped hairstyle that was fashionable among the ska
and early reggae groups from the West Indies at the time, e.g. Desmond
Dekker, as a consciously working class reaction to the long-haired
hippies who were identified (by them) as middle class.

Einde O'Callaghan