[Marxism] RE: Ali G

David Quarter davidquarter at sympatico.ca
Thu Jul 22 23:23:47 MDT 2004

From:           	Einde O'Callaghan <einde at gmx.de>

> David Quarter wrote:
>
> > If you consider an Arab person a "white man", then Ali G. is certainly
> > a parody of a "white man who is would-be black man".
> >
> Sascha Baron Cohen isn't an Arab - as his name should make clear.>>>>

 Exactly my point! He's Jewish, not Arab, yet takes on an Arab
name for his character.

Without question, if the tables were turned, i.e., if an Arab guy
came up with, say,  a character called Moshe the Rabbi, we all
know what type of stir that would create.

Whether it was his intention to be or not (though I imagine not),
coming up with character called Ali G.  is an unavoidably political
act and, I dare say, racist.

I agree with everything below...

DOQ