[Marxism] The "Good War"?

Lou Paulsen loupaulsen at sbcglobal.net
Fri Jul 23 08:29:46 MDT 2004

The original author of this piece wrote,

"People like FDR and Stimson fully appreciated that the best way to
 rein in the growing insurrection they faced was to somehow get the United
States into a war [...] This way, American workers could be put on the defensive ideologically, by the assertion that it was unpatriotic for them to
fight over class grievances ..."

This seems a bit too conspiracy-minded for me.  I mean, conflicts among imperialist powers are real conflicts between nationally based ruling classes, not merely puppet shows for the benefit of the workers.  Furthermore this is the first that I have heard that the US was on the brink of a "growing insurrection" in 1941.  The CPUSA at the time wanted a second front, not a revolution.

Lou Paulsen

member, WWP, Chicago