[Marxism] City of God

Louis Proyect lnp3 at panix.com
Fri Jul 23 08:48:21 MDT 2004

I finally got around to seeing the Brazilian film "City of God," which
was directed by TV commercial veteran Fernando Meirelles and that
enjoyed a very long run in NYC theaters a year or so ago. As most people
know, this film has been widely acclaimed by the critical establishment
and was an Oscar nominee last year. I was prepared to see something akin
to Hector Babenco's "Pixote" or Luis Bunuel's "Los Olvidados", but was
disappointed to discover that the film had more in common with Quentin
Tarentino. It is a highly aestheticized presentation of gang life in a
Rio de Janiero favela (slum) named "City of God" that left me with a
feeling of total revulsion for all the characters except Rocket, a
denizen who escapes this world by dint of his passion for photography
and his ineptitude at crime. It is through his eyes that a never-ending
procession of sadism and inhumanity unfolds.

The main character is L'il Ze, a psychopathic gang leader who reminds me
of the character Al Pacino played in "Scarface". Comparable in terms of
his crude ambitions and talent for wiping out opponents, L'il Ze lacks
Tony Montaña's raffish charm. While this characterization might be more
realistic, it also makes for less interesting drama since a compelling
villain remains the lynchpin for a successful work of art.

L'il Ze's chief lieutenant is Benny, who seeks to escape gang life and
live a hippy existence on a farm (the film is set in the 60s and 70s.)
Although he is intended to be a relatively more attractive character, I
would be repelled by anybody in the position of henchman to L'il Ze. In
one scene, Benny joins L'il Ze in punishing one of the "runts," a
preteen youngster similar to Pixote who has been terrorizing shopkeepers
under the gang's protection. They offer him the choice of a bullet in
the hand or the foot. After they shoot him in the foot, he is ordered to
walk--but not limp--away from them. They giggle hysterically as if they
had given somebody a hot-foot.

There is zero interest in explaining the broader social and economic
context for the gangster phenomenon. Although it is obvious that crime
is a function of poverty, Meirelles shows scant interest in the military
dictatorship which had crushed all hopes for economic improvement. Nor
does he seem interested in showing how a slum like City of God might
have emerged as a function of what Marxists call "primitive
accumulation." When peasants are driven off their land and forced into
rural slums lacking all amenities and economic opportunity, no wonder
their sons and daughters turn to drugs and crime.

In an interview with the online magazine Trópico, the director explained
why he chose not to provide such a background:

Q: What were the major changes you made in adapting the book? [a
reference to the nonfiction book the film was based on]

A: In the film, it's Buscapé ('Rocket' in the American subtitles) who
tells the story, a kid who narrates how the outlaws came to be in the
City of God, how they got starting dealing and wound up taking over the
place. I was criticized for not showing the reason for all the violence,
or the external factors affecting this story. But the fact is that the
premise of my film is the viewpoint of the kid who narrates it.

If I wanted to present a sociological vision or explain the external
factors of all that, this wouldn't be the same film. Not to mention the
fact that it would make the film a dime a dozen. Everybody knows what
the middle-class perspective on the subject is. Do we need a film to
tell us that income distribution in Brazil is a disgrace?

----

I don't know. Maybe I'm old-fashioned, but I'd walk a mile for a
sociological vision in a story such as this.

--

The Marxism list: www.marxmail.org