[Marxism] Re: Nicaragua 25 years later

Lueko Willms l.willms at jpberlin.de
Fri Jul 23 11:10:41 MDT 2004

.    Am  23.07.04
schrieb  lnp3 at panix.com (Louis Proyect)
    auf  /ALIST/MARXMAIL
     in  41012DFE.60409 at panix.com
  ueber  [Marxism] Nicaragua 25 years later

LP> Furthermore, it is doubtful that an all-out assault on the big,
LP> privately owned farms in Nicaragua would have strengthened the
LP> revolution in any measurable fashion. These farms were mainly
LP> involved in agroexport, which was a source of desperately needed
LP> foreign currency. A radical land reform might have yielded an
LP> immediate improvement for some peasants, but the nation as a whole
LP> would have suffered from an inability to purchase imported
LP> manufactured goods. After all, it was sugar and beef that could be
LP> marketed internationally, not beans and corn. If these big farms had
LP> been seized by the state, the owners and the managers would have
LP> simply disappeared to Miami.

   Well in hindsight we can all agree that this strategy failed -- the
Sandinista leadership could not sustain the revolutionary mobilization
enough to keep the owners and managers to disappear to Miami, both
physically as well as, mainly, politically. The election of February
1990 proved this failure.

   The Nicaraguan revolution taught me and many others to give up an
ill-perceived idea of "permanent revolution" to mean that the
propertied classes have to be expropriated within a very short time
after taking political power as a Workers and Farmers Government.

   But it has also hardened my conviction, that this is a principle of
the democratic revolution:

   _there must not be a single landless peasant._

   This is important not only "for some peasants", but for the peasant
class as a whole, and for the necessary alliance of workers and
farmers. To get there is certainly not an instant act, but a process,
which will take time. But the principle, in my view, has to be clear.

   The Sandinista leadership unfortunately gave up on this principle
for the vain hopes for "economic realities" which you describe above.

Mfg,

"Kein Land kann seine Probleme in dieser globalisierten Welt allein
auf sich gestellt lösen. Entweder wir retten uns alle zusammen oder
wir gehen zusammen unter. Heute mehr denn je gilt das Wort von José
Martí: Das Vaterland ist die ganze Menschheit."
               - Fidel Castro, Caracas (Veneuzuela), 3. Februar 1999