[Marxism] City of God

g.maclennan at qut.edu.au g.maclennan at qut.edu.au
Fri Jul 23 18:35:41 MDT 2004

Lou quoted:

"If I wanted to present a sociological vision or explain the
external factors of all that, this wouldn't be the same film.
Not to mention the fact that it would make the film a dime a
dozen. Everybody knows what the middle-class perspective on
the subject is. Do we need a film to tell us that income
distribution in Brazil is a disgrace?"

Very interesting bit of bad faith as old Sartre might have
said.  For a start the oppressed are quite capable of coming
to an understanding of their oppression.  It does not always
need the middle class. Also films which reveal the truth
about social exploitaiton are far from "dime a dozen."

Moreover what the director calls a  working class perspective
is an attempt from outside the lower classes to exploit and
pander to all the self-destructive elements that plague the
urbanised but unproletarianised peasantry.

I have not seen a film about the disgrace of income
distribution in Brazil, so I too wouldn't mind seeing one.

regards

Gary