[Marxism] RE: Ali G

Calvin Broadbent calvinbroadbent at hotmail.com
Sat Jul 24 12:31:55 MDT 2004

Hi,

Hip hop music that is 'incredibly offensive' in your view, and portrays
hooding and 'gangbanging' is not necessarily stereotypical. What appears
'incredibly offensive' may, in fact, not be. The millions of hip hop fans
who buy hip hop records (it is the biggest selling musical idiom in the
world, for better or worse), some of them violent and littered with
profanities, are not necessarily being seduced by violent stereotypes, and I
for one resent the implication. By no means are those people who identify
with supposedly 'offensive' lyrics (lyrics which speak to them directly and
which very often enlighten) 'buying into' a stereotype. Sounds to me like
*you're* the liberal one here. I think it is telling that the people least
convinced by Ali G's crap on this list are hip hop fans, i.e. me and David
Quarter.
This is my last word on this increasingly tedious thread.

PS In reply to Carroll Cox, the 'Stereotype' song lyrics were loosely
connected with this 'Ali G' thread-they are a satirical commentary on
popular stereotypes of American blacks. I changed the subject heading
because I thought this thread was dead. Conversely, I did not intend this
new subject heading to indicate a new thread was being started- this is
principally a list for scholars and activists, not culture vultures, after
all.