[Marxism] Re: Nicaragua 25 years later

Louis Proyect lnp3 at panix.com
Sun Jul 25 05:31:02 MDT 2004

Tom O'Lincoln wrote:
> Why Lou, how charmingly pompous. I will do my best to live up to your
> exacting standards. :-)

Here's my advice. Observations like "I went out to one of the major
factories where I spoke to workers who'd been sacked. They didn't seem
to feel they were in power" are pretty useless. They cannot be
confirmed. Land ownership statistics can. You asked why I referred to
the fact that the Paris Commune permitted bourgeois property relations
for the most part. Well, when there's a free market for labor, that's
what happens. People can be fired. I have no idea whether the factory
you were referring to was state-owned or privately owned. There were two
big beer companies (Nicaraguan heavy industry!) in Managua. One had been
nationalized, the other was still private. Generally speaking, workers
in the private sector were much more vulnerable. I know this is boringly
pedantic, but such distinctions are fairly important in historical
materialism. Of course, some leftwing ideology tends to blur the
distinctions between public and private property, but I can't be held
accountable for that.

--
Marxism list: www.marxmail.org