[Marxism] Justin Raimondo skewers the ABB'ers

Louis Proyect lnp3 at panix.com
Mon Jul 26 09:12:05 MDT 2004

This election year is a conundrum that is baffling the antiwar Left, and
the great debate over whether or not to support Nader is separating the
wheat from the chaff. As I noted in a previous column, the
self-promoting and largely self-appointed "leaders" of the "progressive"
movement – i.e. what used to be called liberals – are fanatically
devoted to Kerry, and attack the Naderites with the same mindless
ferocity as the old Nation magazine used to denounce the Trotskyites as
"wreckers," "splitters," and "agents of Hitler and the Mikado." Uncle
Joe Stalin may be long dead, but his spirit lingers on in the mindset of
the ABB'ers, even down to mimicking the vicious smearing campaigns that
were the hallmark of the Stalinist propaganda machine.

Speaking of Stalin, the Kerry camp will be delighted to hear that
they've been endorsed by the Communist Party USA, the "official" Commie
party in the United States, which gives voice to the ABB movement on the
Left. While Kerry's economic platform is "not as dramatic a program as
we would place, but one that goes in a significantly different
direction," on the other hand, say the Commies:

"He is the vehicle by which George W. Bush, representing the most
extreme reaction, can be defeated. A Kerry presidency by itself will not
bring the changes, it will undoubtedly require huge mass pressure to
bring the changes. In this regard ..., a Kerry election presents the
possibility for greater struggles to undo damage and move forward.

"There is concern in many quarters that Kerry has not taken a strong
enough stand, especially on issues of race and on the war in Iraq.
Placing this criticism, Julian Bond said at the Take Back America
conference, 'Too often the opposition party has been absent without
leave. When one party is shameless the other can't afford to be
spineless.' Yet, he concluded, given the threat to civil rights
enforcement on every front and right-wing control of all branches of
government, 'The consequences of loss are too high to bear. We have to
ensure every citizen registers and votes and guarantee the theft of
Black votes never happens again.' These formulations speak volumes to
those within peace and left organizations who insist there is no
difference between Kerry and Bush. On the basis of the record alone,
this is not the case.'"

It isn't surprising that a party that could ignore the crimes of the
gulag would subordinate the deaths of thousands of Iraqis to the issue
of how many chads were counted in Florida. As a way to prove their
complete lack of any moral sense, not to mention their slavish devotion
to the Democratic party machine, such a stance is a stroke of strategic
genius on the part of these latter-day Leninists.

I guess the Commies will be among the "protesters" at the Democratic
national convention, which we'll be subjected to all week, and I had to
laugh when I read the complaint of the protesters' leader, Medea
Benjamin, at being caged up in Boston:

"We don't deserve to be put in a detention center, a concentration camp.
It's tragic that here in Boston, the birthplace of democracy, our First
Amendment rights are being trampled on."

Even more tragic is that self-proclaimed leftist leaders such as
Benjamin – a founder of the trendy-lefty Global Exchange, as well as
"Code Pink," a women's antiwar group, and a former Green Party candidate
–are supporting Kerry, sliming Nader, and basically taking the CPUSA
"united front" line of Anybody But Bush. No, Ms. Benjamin doesn't
deserve to be put in a concentration camp: nobody does. But she does
deserve a pointed reminder that Iraqi lives are valuable, too. Sadly,
the necessity of such a reminder underscores the imperialist arrogance
that pervades our political discourse, and can infect even the "antiwar"
movement of an imperialist country.

full: http://www.antiwar.com/justin/?articleid=3189

--

The Marxism list: www.marxmail.org