[Marxism] Italian reformists join ABB club

Louis Proyect lnp3 at panix.com
Mon Jul 26 10:27:25 MDT 2004

Italian deputies call for Kerry win, ask Nader to stand down in election
2 hours, 14 minutes ago  Add Politics - AFP to My Yahoo!

ROME (AFP) - More than 100 left-wing members of Italy's parliament
issued a call at the weekend for the independent candidate Ralph Nader
(news - web sites) to stand down in the upcoming US presidential
election in order to ensure victory for the Democratic Party candidate
John Kerry (news - web sites).

While expressing support for Nader's longstanding battles as a consumer
and environmentalist advocate, the 116 deputies said they feared that
his insistence on running as an independent candidate in November's
election could split the vote and cost Kerry the presidency.

"Dear Ralph Nader, we are a group of Italian politicians who appreciate
your battles on behalf of US consumers and citizens since the 1970's",
said the letter.

"Despite your intentions, which are no doubt the best possible ... your
candidacy could mean defeat for John Kerry, who we are following with
much hope," it went on.

"Precisely because, as Europeans, we are also committed to the United
States ... we ask you today not to give George W. Bush a second chance,
which would be costly for your country and the whole international
community," the letter said.

"In a world which is ever more interdependent, the choice that will
guide the most powerful country on Earth will have deep and durable
repercussions," it said.

"Which is why we ask you to withdraw your candidacy for the White House
and give your support, even with reservations, to John F. Kerry."

The letter was signed by many of the top leaders of Italy's centre-left
opposition, and notably by Francesco Rutelli, Luciano Violante, Paolo
Cento and Pietro Folena.

However two leading members of the Left Democrats party, Massimo d'Alema
and Piero Fassino, did not sign the appeal.

Nader, 70, ran as an independent candidate in the 2000 election that
brought Bush to power, and he is also running in the current contest.

Some critics have claimed that by drawing votes away from the Democratic
candidate Al Gore (news - web sites) in 2000, he allowed Bush to win.

--

The Marxism list: www.marxmail.org