[Marxism] Van Kol

Louis Proyect lnp3 at panix.com
Mon Jul 26 11:42:51 MDT 2004

Nestor Gorojovsky wrote:

> When the Nicaragua Sandinistas curse "the Yankee" in their songs, it
> is Van Kol who they are cursing.  Now, you are Dutch, Jurriaan.  It
> is _you_, not them, who perhaps does not very well how to draw the
> line against the Van Kols...

You'll have to remember that the Sandinistas were quite fond of Yankee
culture. When I attended Daniel Ortega's windup election campaign rally
in 1986 (I believe), he gave a fire-breathing speech about resisting the
Yanqui, etc. When he was done, they set off fireworks and played Michael
Jackson's "Thriller".

--

The Marxism list: www.marxmail.org