[Marxism] More on Yankees

Louis Proyect lnp3 at panix.com
Mon Jul 26 13:48:47 MDT 2004

Got a query from a professor of Chinese history who read my review of
Timothy Messer-Kruse's fine "The Yankee International" which dealt with
the clash between people like Woodhull on one hand and Sorge on the
other over how to apply Marxism to the USA. The former tended to
assimilate it to native traditions while the latter wanted to transplant
the language and methodology of the German movement. Unfortunately,
Sorge and company adopted rather retrograde positions on Chinese
immigration. This led the professor to ask:

Was "Yankee International" the accepted [nick]name of this section of
the First International?

My reply to him was lifted from the introduction to Timothy
Messer-Kruse's "The Yankee International":

Throughout this work I will refer to any English-speaking member of the
IWA in America as a "Yankee." It is far less cumbersome than constantly
referring to someone who was "native born" or "English speaking."
Moreover, whenever Marx or his German American comrades spoke of
English-speaking members of their party, they referred to them as
"Yankees." Though this term in Marx's mouth was laden with derision, it
is an apt one for this study since it points to the connection between
the radicals of the native IWA and the deeper American reform tradition
that was heavily centered in the "Yankee" districts of New England,
upstate New York, and the Ohio Valley.

--

The Marxism list: www.marxmail.org