[Marxism] At The Roach Motel of Politics

Tony Abdo gojack10 at hotmail.com
Tue Jul 27 19:36:16 MDT 2004

It's the same police state at Boston as will be at New York, yet none of the
liberal-radical-DP kiss assers seems to mind much?  There is little liberal
call for Kerry to renounce the outside the convention environment, nor to
renounce the inside ambience, either.  Radicals participating in making this
charade possible are shameless with their silence.  Do they really consider
that they are participating in a democracy when they call for voting for
John Kerry?  Tony

Report from a Boston Demo
Arresting the Curious
By MITCHEL COHEN

Boston, July 25, 4 pm

Half-an-hour ago, around 3:30 pm, plainclothes Secret Service pulled a
Mid-Eastern looking fellow out from the permitted demonstration as around
1,000 antiwar protesters marched past a check-point, and arrested him.

A crowd of around 25 people followed the police through an alleyway that
opened onto a large mall, where the "detained" person sat on a stairway
hands cuffed behind his back, surrounded by police.

While the crowd chanted, "This is racial profiling" and "let him go", a
lawyer for the demonstration, John Pavos, arrived, but was not afforded much
time and no privacy to talk with the arrestee. The police maintained at
first that he was not under arrest, but that if he'd allow them to take his
picture they'd run in through their computers and let him go. He allowed
them to take his picture. A few minutes later the police decided not to let
him go.

What was the crime? Police spokespeople say he was arrested for walking past
a checkpoint and looking around "a little too curiously." The fact that we
were ALL looking around curiously at the enormous fencings surrounding the
Fleet Center where the Democratic National Convention begins tomorrow did
not seem to matter to the police, who were clearly under orders from federal
officials. The person -- who to me appeared like any Graduate Student at the
New School in NY -- was detained solely because of his Middle-Eastern
appearance, male and bearded.

He was taken to a nearby police center to be questioned by the Secret
Service. A reporter for Binghamton IndyMedia recorded the whole thing on
camcorder, and will shortly be up on the web.

The demonstration itself was very vibrant and full of energy, challenging
both parties' support for the war against Iraq and decimation of the Bill of
Rights. I carried a sign -- one of many -- that said "Expose the Truth about
9-11", and was interviewed on NY 1, for any New Yorkers interested in
checking it out. I was also interviewed on Japanese television, in which I
began by saying "The Democratic Party is the Roach Motel of Politics; the
progressive people go in, and they never come out."

The press were mostly focused in their questions about the potential for
violence by the demonstrators. I told them that as a participant in Chicago
in 1968 and Seattle in 1999, and many antiwar protests in between, that it
has generally been the police and the government that initiated violence,
clubbing people, teargassing them, shooting them with electric stun guns,
and so forth. It is the government and military that are bombing the hell
out of Iraq and other countries, not the protesters, and the same people
that are committing the violence abroad are perpetrating it here at home,
while orchestrating fear and mass hysteria to put into place fascist
mechanisms.

Just also got word that they just evacuated the building at Staples due to
suspicions of some package that they found. (Nothing, of course.) All done
to perpetrate panic.

While the demonstrators stood around the police chanting "Let Him Go," a
group of Bostonians stood on top of the steps and counter-chanted: "Let's go
Red Sox."

"Go Reds, Smash State," I muttered (secretly rooting for the NY Yankees, who
are here at Fenway Park this afternoon).