[Marxism] Mumia: VOTE? FOR WHOM?

Mike Friedman mikedf at mail.amnh.org
Wed Jul 28 22:31:15 MDT 2004

VOTE? FOR WHOM?
=================
[Col. Writ. 7/17/04] Copyright 2004 Mumia Abu-Jamal

Let me state, from the onset, that I will not suggest who you should vote for.

Nor should I.

I have not voted for over 20 years, almost 25.

As a captive in an American gulag, I cannot vote. It is therefore
inappropriate for me to suggest what others may do.

If I were a prisoner in South Africa, which has granted the vote to the
imprisoned, it might be another matter. Indeed, if I were in several
European countries, that might be the case. But, I am in America, and it
makes little sense for me to do so.

That said, I do offer several observations, that may prove to be food for
thought.

Please accept, or reject them, as you see fit.

Ultimately, it is virtually assured that many Americans, perhaps over 50%,
in other words, a majority, will not participate in this year's upcoming
election, as they did not in 2000.

It is a testament of the decline of democracy that so many Americans feel
that a vote is a waste of time, and an empty exercise at the dawn of the
21st Century. Millions of such people, predominantly young, and working
class, seem to feel that elections are little more than a lost cause.

What is surprising about the current election campaign is the similarities
between both major candidates.

Both are men of means, from well-to-do families. Both are Yalies. Both are
members of the secret society, Skull & Bones.

I have seen an amusing cartoon-graphic of a sarcastic bumper sticker
printed in a libertarian-type magazine, which reads:

BUSH [with graphic of US flag, with skull & bones] KERRY '04 REPUBLICRAT
One Vote, one party NO choice

In the bottom, right-hand corner, in Olde English-style letters, is
written: "Skull and Bones" [the graphic of this] "Yale University." It gets
a grin out of me every time that I see it, for bumper stickers, which are a
kind of witty shorthand of oversimplification, tend to do this, if they're
good.

It says a lot about the perceptions of millions of voting-age Americans,
who really see these things that way, and as a consequence, refrain from
even the pretense of voting for what increasingly looks like a single
party, with two heads.

It also encapsulates rather nicely the gist of the now-flagging independent
presidential campaign of consumer advocate, Ralph Nader.

To be honest, both men have varying styles, and different tones to their
presentation. That given, Senator Kerry can, by no means, be seen as an
anti-war candidate. On a recent news program, the Democratic candidate
spoke about "staying the course" in Iraq; a use of terms that flashed back
to the genocidal Nixon years, who said virtually the same thing when he
wanted to shore up flagging support for the ruinous Vietnam War. I know
that there are many people, perhaps millions, especially those most likely
to hear, or read, these words, who feel, in their guts, that Sen. Kerry is
the best possible choice. This arises from the growing ABB crowd ('Anybody
But Bush').

The Sen. Kerry of today isn't the anti-war activist of yesteryear. He is,
by his own words, a "tough-minded...internationalist", who wishes to "stay
the course" in Iraq, preferably with European allies to split the cost in
blood and treasure.

Who to vote for? That's your choice ... but I thought you'd like to know.

Copyright 2004 Mumia Abu-Jamal