[Marxism] re: Debate on South Africa

Zak McGregor zak at mighty.co.za
Thu Jul 29 15:46:26 MDT 2004

On Thu, 29 Jul 2004 22:02:28 +0200
"Einde O'Callaghan" <einde at gmx.de> wrote:

> M. Junaid Alam wrote:
> > Who the hell is "Ferial Haffajee (Editor, Mail and Guardian): FH"?
> > Outside of the fact that he's a complete fucking asshole, and simply
> > drones on with a stereotypical strawman narrative in the exchange, this
> > is guy who actually runs the paper behind www.guardian.co.uk?
>
> No, the "Mail & Guardian" is a South African newspaper whereas the
> Guardian behind www.guardian.co.uk is a British newspaper (as the suffix
> suggests). AFAIK they have no connection other than a shared name.

I think they do. The Mail & Guardian was the Weekly Mail back in the day, and I
think they have syndicated some of the UK Guardian's content. Was a shitrag back
then, still is. In my humble opinon, of course.

More about its history:
http://www.mg.co.za/Content/l3_f.asp?o=555

It always amused me to hear it referred to as "The Meekly Wail". Appropriate
spoonerism if ever there was one.