[Marxism] Call to Kerry to Join the New International Movement of Green Social Democracy

Tony Abdo gojack10 at hotmail.com
Thu Jul 29 17:38:12 MDT 2004

This in a nut shell is how most Green Party people invision the movement as
being.  They envision it as being Social Democracy for the New Millenium.  A
Social Democratic Movement minus those embarrasing unions full of Archie
Bunkers.   Tony

Published on Thursday, July 29, 2004 by CommonDreams.org
Green Votes
by Bill C. Davis

As the Boston convention climaxes and the need to usher the Bush occupation
out of the White House is drilled into all hybridized Green/Democrats, a
word now about election 2006 and local Green candidates running in 2004.

It is my intention to run for congress in 2006 from the fifth district of
Connecticut under the Green Party banner. The cut and paste allegiance to
the Democratic Party has its limit. The internal qualifying that is
necessary to feel confident as a registered Democrat is troubling. To be
anti-war; pro-gay marriage; anti-death penalty; pro-alternative energy and
anti-special corporate interests is to be Green. As in a holistic approach
to insuring prime health I sense a need to move toward the ideal after the
experience of relief we hope will come when Bush is voted out of office.

If John Kerry is the beneficiary of this healthy rejection of Bush, then so
be it. He will also be the beneficiary of a progressive and Green movement
that must follow. There are 400 Green candidates running for mayoral and
state representative positions this November. To elect these Green
candidates will help Kerry join the evolution that he may even now be
tempted to join and lead. If he isn't tempted to, the growing number of
elected Green representatives will urge him to do so.

The movement of the Green Party as I read it now is to reconstitute
representative government. As Boston is besieged with frantic donors wining
and dining future policy makers one can almost hear the weary population
calling for political decisions based solely on the common good. That kind
of governance we have been deprived of for too long and to our peril. The
chance of getting actual and genuine representation at this moment I believe
is most likely to be achieved with Green candidates.

The Green Party is a global antidote to a global crisis. It embodies
principles and values that have international, national and local resonance.
As forces push to privatize and override sovereign rights and resources in
many nations, the description of our government being of, by and for the
people needs a newer prism through which we Americans can see and trust that
description. I believe that prism for the years to come will be and is the
Green Party.

The panorama of grassroots democracy, ecological wisdom, economic justice,
gender and racial equity, voter reform and nonviolence is the main thrust of
the Green Party. Rather than weed through the two major parties and indulge
in a litany of excuses, why not Green?

The money that goes in to both major parties is riddled with subtexts and
price tags. If government can be defined as the projection of our highest
consciousness in the service of the common good then creating a tether of
questionable financial allegiances seriously compromises this definition.

Neglect, if not assault, of the common good is evident not only in shabby
mass transit, pitiable rail systems, lack of alternative energy incentives,
but rather poignantly it is evident in what seems to be an epidemic of
degenerative diseases in this country. Why is that? What regulations are
being lifted and bought off that allows invisible, insidious and toxic
byproducts that give our wives, mothers and sisters breast cancer; our
parents - Alzheimer's; our children - Autism. What is the price we the
people pay, for a government bought and sold by those looking to be given
free reign to make a killing?

One has to wonder if there was even a small percentage of the congress and
the senate that was Green, how unanimous would the call to war have been?
What kind of questions would an un-tethered Green representative have asked?

Yes - there should be a department of peace as Dennis Kucinich, the Democrat
with a Green tinge suggested. Even though the Democratic party, to its
credit, allowed Kucinich and Dean to present their visions to us, it won't
or can't embrace their most important contributions and ideas.

There is nothing remotely flaky about a department of peace. It is in fact
smart and practical as well as ideal.

As the great American artist Laura Nyro paraphrased the Old Testament in her
rousing song - Save The Country - "In my mind I can't study war no more." If
one can study war, conversely one can study peace - understand it as a way
of life - make it a habit - encourage the habit of peace from the top.

Having the greatest military does not mean it needs to be used. In fact, the
exquisite irony of having the most powerful military is that it almost makes
it impossible to use. And as has been illustrated recently and painfully,
using it in this powder keg world for questionable and shifting reasons has
the opposite effect of what the military was created to do - protect. The
Green party knew that before the vote to go to war.

Our government can be an instrument of peace. It can be a platform from
which our consciousness and thinking are expanded. The Green Party makes no
apologies for those pursuits.

A caller on C-span this morning said he supported Bush and his military
actions because he felt that after 9/11 we needed "to show the world that we
can be crazy." I think we need to show the world that we're sane. I believe
the Green Party joining and being part of the representative forces of our
country, on all levels, right now, will help to invite and restore that
sanity.

Bill C. Davis is a playwright – author of 'Mass Appeal', 'Avow' and the
upcoming 'The Sex King' - http://www.billcdavis.com/