[Marxism] Report from Boston

Eli Stephens elishastephens at hotmail.com
Sat Jul 31 10:43:30 MDT 2004

Jay wrote:

>This article explains how the organizers around Boston, except for the
>anarchists, basically sat on their hands because of their ABB philosophy:
>http://www.thehill.com/news/072604/protests.aspx/.

I love their description of ANSWER (who, by the way Jay, are the other
exception; the anarchists were not the only exception mentioned in the
article):

>International ANSWER (Act Now to Stop War and End Racism) also held a rally
>yesterday on Boston Common that may be the largest
>of the week. That group has led campaigns advocating the release
>of Mumia Abu-Jamal, who was convicted in 1982 of murdering a police officer
>in Philadelphia, and Leonard Peltier, who was convicted of murdering two
>FBI agents in 1975. Several ANSWER leaders also are involved with the World
>Workers Party, which supports Cuba's Fidel Castro and North Korea's Kim
>Jong-Il and opposed the trial of former Yugoslav President Slobodan
>Milosevic.

Not a hint that ANSWER was the key organizer (or co-organizer) behind
essentially every single demonstration against the invasion and occupation
of Iraq, a rather more pressing issue in the context of the Democratic
convention and the current world situation than any of the other things
mentioned. And, of course, they leave out the always-unmentionable "P" word
(Palestine).