[Marxism] Sign the Greens for Nader Petition

WSheasby wsheasby at earthlink.net
Tue Jun 1 12:28:45 MDT 2004

http://www.petitiononline.com/NaderGrn/petition.html

To:  the Green Party National Convention

The Greens Should Be in the Forefront
of the Nader Campaign Coalition

The Green Party National Convention
Should Endorse the Nader Campaign

The 2004 Nader for President campaign is developing
as a broad coalition drawing support from across the
political spectrum. In a March 24 letter to the
Steering Committee of the Green Party of the United
States, Ralph Nader wrote that he would welcome
Green Party participation in the coalition and
endorsement of the campaign:

. "Should the national Green Party decide to endorse
. my candidacy and have its members focus their
. efforts on state and local races, then State Green
. Party ballot lines and the participation of Greens
. in a variety of ways would be mutually helpful."

The signers of this statement agree with the above
and are advocates of sustaining the effective,
longstanding alliance between Ralph Nader and the
Green Party. Nader's letter expresses a similar sentiment:

. "I intend to use the platform of my candidacy to
. advance many Green values and issues and will also
. encourage serious state and local Green Party
. candidates across the country. Together, in many
. ways, we can expand the challenge to the corporate
. governments and their political party proxies ...
. We need to work synergistically."

Nader's willingness to champion the cause of the Green
Party by running as our presidential candidate in 1996
and 2000, at a time when we were just beginning to get
organized, enormously helped our growth. The 2000
campaign established the Green Party in many states as
the leading alternative party in the minds of voters
and the press.

This year the Nader campaign has the potential to unite
those who want take a strong stand against the cash
register/big money politics that are undermining public
life in the United States. It would be a lost opportunity
if the Greens were to ignore the national coalition forming
around his campaign or to be viewed as running against Nader.

He will be the only high-profile candidate advocating:
- an end to the US occupation of Iraq;
- large cuts in the military budget;
- single-payer health insurance;
- a living wage and labor rights reform;
- repeal of NAFTA and GATT/WTO;
- creation of jobs through rebuilding of public infrastructure;
- tax system reform (ecological and progressive taxation);
- open debates and full public financing of elections;
- Instant Runoff Voting and proportional representation;
- replacing nuclear power and foreign fossil fuel dependence
. with domestic renewable energy sources.

A Green Party candidate would also speak out on these
issues, but as Greens approach our Milwaukee convention
we find that there is not unity within the party for a
candidate who could mount a serious challenge in the
presidential arena. It will be the Nader campaign
playing that role this year. If the Green Party is not a
participant in the campaign coalition, the electorate
will find it hard to understand why not. On the other
hand, if Greens are its most prominent activists, many
of those drawn to alternative politics through the
campaign will find an organizational home in the Green Party.

Ralph Nader, uniquely, has the ability to shake the
foundations of the two-party system. Having been our
standard bearer in 1996 and 2000, he is identified with
the Greens in the public's mind. The appearance of
Nader's name on as many state Green Party ballot lines
as possible would be mutually beneficial. Therefore, the
undersigned advocate that the Greens make a decision in
Milwaukee to endorse the Nader campaign. This - along
with focusing on state and local races - is our best
option for unifying and growing the Green Party in 2004.

To keep up on the news, subscribe to:
RalphNader2004 at yahoogroups.com

T0 build the left Greens join
GreenAllianceUSA at yahoogroups.com