[Marxism] Green Convention's Choice: Nader or Kerry

Frontlines newspaper alternative at sbcglobal.net
Wed Jun 2 15:52:22 MDT 2004

Frontlines, the newspaper of the Left

http://www.sf-frontlines.com

Green National Convention: A choice of Nader - Camejo formula or Surrender to the Democrats

By Carlos Petroni

The Green Party of the US is having its National Convention in Milwaukee on June 24-27. The Party is at a crossroads. Their delegates at the convention will have to decide whether to jump into the abysm of Lesser Evil Kerry or stand up on its own two feet and fight the duopoly of power by supporting the formula, Ralph Nader-Peter Camejo.

The fundamental task of the antiwar, Labor, anti-racist and youth movement is to break free – in significant numbers – from the two-party system of the Empire. Pressured by an unrelenting media hostile to left politics and surrounded by a milieu of local and national Democratic Party activists who threaten them with isolation and scorn, the Greens are hesitant.

More than few are willing to capitulate.

Read more...

http://www.sf-frontlines.com/modules.php?op=modload&name=News&file=article&sid=719&mode=thread&order=0&thold=0

__________

The day the stooges bit back

Iraqis win showdown over new President, but Baghdad is rocked by explosions

By Justin Huggler in Baghdad

It was supposed to be the day the light would appear at the end of the tunnel for the Americans in the occupation of Iraq.

But, even as an interim government that will assume sovereignty at the end of the month was finally named, there were stark signs of the terrible difficulties ahead.

Read more...

http://www.sf-frontlines.com/modules.php?op=modload&name=News&file=article&sid=718&mode=thread&order=0&thold=0

__________

The Anybody But Bush Offensive: Don't Back Down

By JOSH FRANK

"Gonna stand my ground and I won't back down."--Tom Petty "Won't Back Down"

On May 3rd the Village Voice stooped to a new low and published an article by Harry G. Levine, titled, "Ralph Nader, Suicide Bomber."

The title itself, in its racist conjecture (Nader is an Arab-American), exemplifies the fear beating in hearts of many Americans regarding the upcoming election.

Read more...

http://www.sf-frontlines.com/modules.php?op=modload&name=News&file=article&sid=717&mode=thread&order=0&thold=0

_________

San Francisco Metroscope:

Lucrecia Bermudez: Why I'm running for Supervisor in District 9

* End the City government from PG&E, for Lennar and by the GAP

* For a City government from, for and by working families and the people

"The fundamental reason for my run is that I think we need to continue the movement we helped to begin during the historic Matt Gonzalez for Mayor campaign. The incumbent and the other candidates do not share my conviction about the central importance of organizing the progressive movement" -- Lucrecia Bermúdez

Read more...

http://www.sf-frontlines.com/modules.php?op=modload&name=News&file=article&sid=715&mode=thread&order=0&thold=0

__________

Congressman Tom Lantos uninvited to City College of S.F. Graduation Because his pro-war positions

SAN FRANCISCO – In an extraordinary development, Congressman Tom Lantos (D-San Mateo)late Friday was told his invitation to address the City College of San Francisco graduating class today (5/29/04) had been rescinded – as had a prestigious award to him – because he was a "war activist" who supports the occupation of Iraq and Palestine.

Read more...

http://www.sf-frontlines.com/modules.php?op=modload&name=News&file=article&sid=711&mode=thread&order=0&thold=0

__________

Iraqi Unions file complaint against the Occupation Forces and their Iraqi Governing Council for anti-labor practices

"Hundreds of thousands of workers in Iraq are currently unemployed (70% of the workforce according to recent survey), and there is widespread fear that their economic well-being has been taken out of their control and in fact depends on the occupying forces."

"In the current situation, Iraqi workers fear that the decisions made by the occupying forces, particularly in the economic field with

privatization, would continue the plundering of the Iraqi resources by the multinational corporations."

Read more...

http://www.sf-frontlines.com/modules.php?op=modload&name=News&file=article&sid=708&mode=thread&order=0&thold=0

__________

SF Green Party membership rejects Early Endorsements for candidates in D5 and D9, defeating proposals by the "leadership"

By Gina Alvarez

The San Francisco Green Party is a strange political animal.

On one side it has produced stunning campaigns of candidates who flashed apparently out of nowhere to win offices, increasing the prestige and standing of the party. In spite of having only 3% registration in the City, the number of voters who identify with the party is probably closer to 20% with potential supporters at even a higher percentage.

Read more...

http://www.sf-frontlines.com/modules.php?op=modload&name=News&file=article&sid=707&mode=thread&order=0&thold=0

_________

Newsom fakes left, critics gave him undeserved credit

By Sebastian Robles

SAN FRANCISCO – According to new polls released by Downtown’s big business, neo-liberal Mayor Gavin Newsom is today at the highest point of popularity since his election in 2003, when he was almost beaten by Matt Gonzalez. This is due, in great measure, to some mostly cosmetic positions he has taken about some social issues since assuming office last January.

Read more...

http://www.sf-frontlines.com/modules.php?op=modload&name=News&file=article&sid=706&mode=thread&order=0&thold=0

Plus, the best coverage on the war and occupation of Iraq, Latin America, European politics, US News and Reports, local political news...

Daily online, Monthly in print

http://www.sf-frontlines.com

Read the latest issue of Frontlines at http://www.sf-frontlines.com
Local, National and International political news and commentaries.