[Marxism] reification

DLVinvest at cs.com DLVinvest at cs.com
Thu Jun 3 02:17:11 MDT 2004

In a message dated 6/2/04 7:13:45 PM Mountain Daylight Time,
s.hopkinson at cqu.edu.au writes:
> Markets are not a fiction or merely ideological and totems do have "real
> concrete power" (in Nick's words) precisely because they are an embodiement of
> real social
> relations (albeit alienated ones).

Not to parse or quibble but I interpret Marx a little differently, and I'd
like to hear from Jurriaan B. and Melvin P. on this:

Reification is the conceptual process or linguistic device which converts a
process npt only into a thing but also a metaphor.

The word "market" originally described a place at which things were
exchanged. In the capitalist mode of production, "market" is no longer a place but a
metaphor for a process in which commodities are exchanged in many places and
over time by and through many people and institutions that are not the direct
producers, but are related to them and the process of production in and through
those commodities. (I know the beer, not the brewer, etc.). The relationship of
this exchange is abstracted from the process which created it as labor is
alienated from the means and process of production -- labor-power of the living,
creative indivudal human worker is quantified in piecework manufacture,
jobbing out and share-cropping as wage-for-unit of production and through
accumulation/re-investment of capital, changes in the composition of capital lead to
division of labor and exchange of wage-for-time on the production line; so the
human worker is abstracted as labor-power, reduced to a quantifiable, measurable
unit of time, and rendered as a "thing" or concept (i.e., "reified") by vrtue
of his/her lack of ownership and control over the means of production;
"commodity fetishism:" is not merely or exclusively the anthropomorphic investment
of things with human or supernatural powers, but the masking of the relations
of capitalist production (the expropriation of surplus value from wage-labor
defined and measured as units of time and its embodiment in a commodity as
capital that can only be realized in exchange). "Market" is therefore a reification
of the relations of exchange in which the relations of production have been
reified into "commodity fetishism."
Douglas L. Vaughan, Jr.
Investigations
for Print, Film & Electronic Media