[Marxism] Body counts in Iraq

Carrol Cox cbcox at ilstu.edu
Sat Jun 5 09:58:01 MDT 2004

Joseph Callahan wrote:
> So I would agree with Jose that the body count figures should be treated with some skepticism.

Probably correct -- as with the '60s joke, "How can you tell when
Johnson is lying?" Answer: When his lips are moving.

The leaders of an occupation tend to be driven to the conclusion (wild
hope) that just a little more pain imposed on the populace will reduce
it to obedience. That puts them in vice of sorts: they can't remind the
population of the pain without at the same time reminding the whole
world.

Body count of Iraqis "should" frighten other Iraqis; it also is
embarassing abroad.

The PR for the occupation could start lying in so many directions they
will forget what lie they told to whom.

Carrol