[Marxism] remembering reagan

DLVinvest at cs.com DLVinvest at cs.com
Sat Jun 5 23:14:21 MDT 2004

In a message dated 6/5/04 7:48:10 PM Mountain Daylight Time,
rakeshb at stanford.edu writes:
> ichael Rogin recently observed the number of times
> President Reagan has, at critical moments in his career, quoted lines
> from his own or other popular films.
Rogin hit the head (Reagan) on the nail of mediated imagery: The
correspondence between script in the movies and script in political theater was reflected
through the mass media as presidential reality rather than film fantasy. This
was more than a cliche of life imitating art. The dialectics were inverted: In
acting the fool, he was fooling the act of propaganda. Whoever scripted
Reagan's political persona made him the perfect vessel for the emptiness of popular
culture, the narcissim elaborated by Christopher Lasch and lambasted by Neil
Postman as "amusing ourselves to death." In the only life he represented
realistically if not truly,  that of the mirror image, the pinnacle of his movie
career was the critically acclaimed role in All the King's Men in which he
famously asked upon discovering his leg had been amputated, "where's the rest of
me?" Appropriately, that became the title of his sanitized autobiography and the
metaphor for his political career, which was the perfect confusion of image
with substance. He was always as shallow as he had to be, as was expected of
him. There was another ole that was more telling: In Santa Fe Trail, Reagan
played a young cavalry officer, J.E.B. Stuart, as sidekick to the dashing George
Armstrong Custer, played by Erroll Flynn. They manage to snuff the raid on
Harper's Ferry by abolitoonist John Brown, who hoped to seize the arsenal to
distrbute guns to teh slaves who would free themselves by guerrilla warfare. Brown,
played by Raymond Massey, is depicted as a religious fanatic -- the
conventional and racist stereotype. Stuart went on to "glory" on behalf of the
slaveholders' rebellion, proptrayed as a lost but noble cause against overwhelming
odds since the betrayal of Reconstruction inverted the imagery of good and evil
of the civil war. And Flynn, as Custer, got what was coming to him in a sequel,
They Died with Their Boots On.. In the Hollywood version of history, though,
Reagans epitaph shall yet be written in the denouement in Bedtime for Bonzo
where he plays second-fiddle to a chimp. Paradoxically, playing the fool was one
of his better performances as an actor. Now the world of Hollywood Babylon,
as Kenneth Angier's expose' was titled, is played out Reaganesque in the
occupied Babylon, where that girl-soldier Jessicawhatshername fought the drooling
rapists, captured Saddam has his orifices exposed to American dental-cams and
Lyndie England plays prison-camp moll in a campy send-up of imperial
spear-and-sandal epics. Wouldn't you love to see Reagan's video order and pay-per-view
bill for the last ten years of addled exile in Santa Barbara?
Douglas L. Vaughan, Jr.
Investigations
for Print, Film & Electronic Media
3140 W. 32nd Ave.