[Marxism] Ronald Reagan's death

David Quarter davidquarter at sympatico.ca
Sun Jun 6 13:47:37 MDT 2004

 Speaking of a bad play of words:

  Ian used the word personalization in reference to some "strands
of feminist thinking" being *possibly* responsible for personalizing
political issues. This is different than saying: "feminism" per se *is*
responsible for personalizing political issues.

It has been my experience from sitting through women studies
courses in university  that political questions do tend to be
evaluated according to individual motives. Perhaps this experience
is a reflection of the university. Nevertheless, I have found this
theme repeated again and again in each of the women studies
courses in which I've attended and amongst students within the
program with whom I have discussed politics. So to say taht the
slogan "the personal is the political" has "NOTHING " _nothing_,
ABSOLUTELY NOTHING, to do with "personalizing"
> politics in the sense of focusing on particular persons."

is IMO bogus. It is opposite extreme of saying that all strands of
feminism engage in the personalization of politics, which isn't AT
ALL what Ian's statement suggested.

DOQ

From:           	Carrol Cox <cbcox at ilstu.edu>