[Marxism] Colin Powell's "guns and butter" theory about Soviet collapse

Jurriaan Bendien andromeda246 at hetnet.nl
Sun Jun 6 14:43:01 MDT 2004

Nevermind Reagan's "Marxist virus" - if Colin Powell is to be believed,
Ronald Reagan "exuded a confidence that was infectious". Powell proposes a
new "guns and butter" theory of Soviet collapse:

SECRETARY POWELL: (...) "Gorbachev knew that he needed Reagan. And even
though, yes, Reagan called it "the Evil Empire," Gorbachev never pushed back
or resented that. In fact, he needed that kind of clear statement from the
United States to persuade others in the Soviet Union that they had to make
changes. Remember, he was trying to keep the Soviet Union intact.
Perestroika restructuring and glasnost openness were not for the purpose of
bringing an end to communism or the Soviet Union, but to making it a
different system that would survive in the 21st century. What Reagan knew
was that it couldn't survive. Either with glasnost or perestroika, communism
had to come to an end, and it did. And he knew it. And he worked with
Gorbachev, and even though Gorbachev didn't succeed in keeping the union
together, he brought it to the point where now we see a democratic Russia,
still pressures within that society, but a Russia that is a friend and a
partner with the United States."
MR. SCHIEFFER: "Some would say that -- some of his strongest supporters
would say that Ronald Reagan and the defense buildup in the United States
that he brought about actually brought down the Soviet Union. Others would
say, well, that may be taking it a little too far, but certainly he created
the conditions to help bring down the Soviet Union. Where do you come down
in that argument?"

SECRETARY POWELL: "I think many things contributed to bring down the Soviet
Union. First and foremost, it was living a flawed -- it was a flawed system.
It was living an ideology that was a lie. And so that was a fatal weakness
to the system. But it wouldn't have come down as quickly as it did if it
hadn't been for Ronald Reagan and the military buildup, which said: "You
cannot beat us militarily. We will do what we have to do to make sure that
we are strong. And guess what, we can also provide for our social and
economic needs. We can have guns and butter. Why don't you try it?" And they
tried it and realized they couldn't do it. They didn't have a system that
worked either politically and economically that would allow them to have
guns and butter. So they had many, many guns, but it was a society that was
increasingly unable to cope with the economic and social challenges of the
end of the 20th century and the beginning of the 21st century, and therefore
it collapsed. So all of these things came together. Reagan's vision, the
inherent weakness of the communist system and the buildup all came together
to produce the results that we saw in the early 1990s."
http://www.state.gov/secretary/rm/33168.htm

If the problem was "living an ideology that was a lie", this does not augur
well for the G. W. Bush administration. Mikhail Gorbachov had this to say in
an interview in September 1997:

"Some of our theoreticians say that the plan of ruining the Soviet Union was
designed by the CIA and it was followed step-by-step, and that then there
was an agreement between Reagan and the Pope. This is all rubbish, this is
cheap speculation in order to cash in politically: "We have won, communism
has collapsed." (...) The Soviet Union could have been preserved. No doubt
there were a lot of ethnic problems in our multinational state; but those
problems should have been solved on the basis of decentralization, not
disintegration. And now, those who supported the collapse of the Soviet
Union, ... who wrote all those documents for Yeltsin, now say that
Gorbachev's "Soft Union Treaty" -- which didn't happen because of the August
coup, and was resubmitted in the Fall -- was better. Because when that
treaty was dropped, the Republics started to distance themselves from the
Soviet Union at different paces, the reforms started in different
directions, and the whole development in the post-Soviet formation took a
bad turn. The collapse of the Soviet system was an internal process, and
this problem should have been solved -- but without ruining the Soviet
Union."
http://edition.cnn.com/SPECIALS/cold.war/episodes/23/interviews/gorbachev/

Come for a ride and learn about butter
Get fit and learn a lot... all about butter.
Butter... Fifty Facts About Butter.
Butter.... fifty facts about butter!!

Butter was discovered by Arabs on their travels
flasks of milk got shaken up by the motions of their camels
This shaking made a glob of fat rise up to the top.
The start of spreadable goodness that we like a lot -
And they made butter....
Fifty facts about butter!
Fifty facts about, fifty facts about butter!!

Butter was used for medicine and for treating burns.
Also used for hair... making styles that made heads turn.
Today butter is made from pure pasteurized cream,
It gets churned up and separates into buttermilk and that dream....
Butter,
oh,oh Butter.
Fifty facts about, fifty facts about butter!

The pioneers used paper for their houses' windows,
they coated it with butter making it see-through, don't ya know.
This buttery paper windows framed the settlers first view.
Making buttery visions of a world that was new.
They looked through butter!
Woah, woah, butter!
Fifty facts about, fifty facts about butter!!

In America, the first cows came in sixteen fifty-three
and with their arrival came America's butter dream.
The milk was used for food, for cooking in many ways.
The butter was seen as special, eaten only on holidays,
They saved their butter,
woah, yum, butter.
Fifty facts about, Fifty facts about butter.

Charles the Second payed artists with great butter skill.
They made statues of butter, through perserverance and hard will.
These butter sculptures were displayed, near the palaces' front doors,
Showing all the land what butter could be used for-
They made art of butter-
oh, yeah butter.
Fifty facts about, fifty facts about butter.

The U.S. makes one billion pounds of butter in a year.
If you watch butter melt, you will watch it turn clear.
The farmers collect cowmilk, which sits for several hours a day,
Up floats the cream which is shaken, and turns to butter on the way.
We love the butter-
oh, yum fun butter.
Fifty facts about, fifty facts about butter.

Butter in your fridge is fresh for a month or so,
Butter in the freezer, can be stored for four months did ya know.
One teaspoon of butter has four grams of fat we've learned,
When making your own butter, you can use a jar or a churn.

Make butter!

Written by Kristen Baumliér.
Recorded by Kristen Baumlier and Frank Stanek.
Mastered by Frank Stanek / UBWA Productions.
http://www.bunsofbutter.com/50Factslyrics.html