[Marxism] Ronald Reagan's death

Jurriaan Bendien andromeda246 at hetnet.nl
Mon Jun 7 10:17:27 MDT 2004

Melvin wrote:

"You shouldn't speak ill of the dead."

That's not my argument - anybody is entitled to criticise Ronald Reagan's
track record as politician and president, also after he's dead, and as I
said, I was a strong critic of his policies. In particular, Reagan's
policies in Latin and Central America stand out in my mind as having been
murderous and causing a lot of suffering.

Time however does not permit me to go into a detailed appraisal of Reagan
now. I have posted some mails in the past sketching the political career of
Elliot Abrams, a close associate of Ollie North, one of a bunch of people
who engaged in criminal adventurism, were indicted in the Contragate
scandal, and then basically just let off very lightly - Abrams eventually
became a political advisor to President G.W. Bush.

But if somebody just says "Ronald Reagan is dead - good", then I don't think
that does us any good. What is much more interesting really when you read
press articles on his death, is how tame they all are, and that is something
to explain. I have to concentrate on some personal matters now, and cannot
write more.

Jurriaan