[Marxism] Colin Powell's "guns and butter" theory about Soviet collapse

DLVinvest at cs.com DLVinvest at cs.com
Mon Jun 7 12:29:42 MDT 2004

In a message dated 6/6/04 2:44:05 PM Mountain Daylight Time,
andromeda246 at hetnet.nl writes: [quoting Powell]
> What Reagan knew was that it couldn't survive. Either with glasnost or
> perestroika, communism had to come to an end, and it did. And he knew it.

among the many msytifications, witting and non-, in Powell's "analysis" of
the collapse of the USSR, we are left to ask:"how did Reagan 'know'?"

I'm reminded of the old joke about three drunks on the park bench debating
what was the greatest invention ever: "The airplane," says One confidently. "You
get in, it takes you up, and whoosh --- you come down far, far way. Amazing!"

"No,no, no," opines the Second, equally certain. "The television: You just
sit down, turn it on and you can go  so far without ever getting off your
recliner! Effortless."

"You fools don't know a damn thing," says the Third."The greatest invention
in the history of the world gotta be the thermos bottle." The two colleagues
were flummoxed. "And what's so great aout the damned thermos?"

"Well," explained the Third savant, "you just pour something in. And when
it's cold outside, it stays hot. But if it's hot outside, it stays cold!"

The other two stared at him slack-jawed until One asked. "So what's so great
about that?"

"If you're so smart answer me this," the Third genius suggested:"How does it
know?

Douglas L. Vaughan, Jr.
Investigations
for Print, Film & Electronic Media