[Marxism] A "Clash of Civilizations, " Sending Pink Sparks Flying?

Jurriaan Bendien andromeda246 at hetnet.nl
Tue Jun 8 16:36:16 MDT 2004

> Will the phenomenon of a gay man successfully popularizing the
> rhetoric that pits "Islam" (misrepresented as inherently and
> monolithically homophobic and misogynistic) against the "Western
> Civilization" (made out to be inherently and monolithically feminist
> and pro-gay) remain unique to the Netherlands? Or will the
> Netherlands be a harbinger, as more white gay men, now integrated in
> the militaries and soon to gain the equal right to marriage in most
> rich industrialized nations, lose the ability to identify with other
> outcasts like the Palestinians and migrant workers that once defined
> the politics and aesthetics of Genet (e.g., Prisoner of Love) and
> Fassbinder (Ali: Fear Eats the Soul)? . . .

I do not know the answer to that. All I know is that I am not gay, and am
unlikely to become so either. I have nothing to do with Pim Fortuyn either,
and never supported him, although I believe assassinating him was a morally
and politically repugnant act.

Since I am an immigrant worker, I identify with myself, and Plato's Queer
Republic is mainly a theatrical fantasy. Just because you don't happen to
like a lot of the sexual and relationship culture (or lack of it) that you
have to live with, or hate people trying to work on your brain with a
can-opener, doesn't make you gay. It might just make you frustrated. The
most I can be accused of, is a bit of campy humor at times and having had
some gay friends.  But, people can call you what they like, it's water off a
duck's back anyhow. A much more significant phenomenon in European politics
just now, is Paul van Buitenen of the "Europe Transparent Party", who is
campaigning against corruption.

- "I searched every compartment, but he wasn't on the train" - Spike
Milligan, Adolf Hitler: My Part in his Downfall.

Jurriaan