[Marxism] what is Antiwar.com?

Louis Proyect lnp3 at panix.com
Wed Jun 9 07:10:24 MDT 2004

Steve Gabosch wrote:
> What do marxmailers think of Antiwar.com?

On the issue of Iraq, they are far better than the SWP. On other
questions, they are quite wretched. For example, their head guy Justin
Raimondo has a stupid piece in praise of Reagan today. I myself have
never found any reason to consult it.

The question arises in the context of a silly article in the Militant
dealing with the question of whether the war in Iraq is the product of a
neoconservative cabal.

 >>Over the past year there has been a spate of articles by liberal and
middle-class radical commentators, as well as by rightists, that attack
the Bush administration by claiming that today U.S. foreign and military
policy is being orchestrated by a small group of “neoconservatives” in
the Defense Department. They often point to Deputy Secretary of Defense
Paul Wolfowitz, Undersecretary of Defense Douglas Feith, former Pentagon
advisor Richard Perle, and other high-ranking officials.

(clip)

One variant of the conspiracy articles that have appeared over the last
year seeks to link a “Jewish neocon cabal,” at least in its historical
origins, to Bolshevik leader Leon Trotsky and those who trace their
political continuity to the communist movement he fought to build. U.S.
liberal writer Michael Lind, for example, in an article in the New
Statesman in April 2003, asserts that U.S. foreign policy is dominated
today by a layer of “neoconservatives” who are “products of the largely
Jewish-American Trotskyist movement of the 1930s and 1940s which morphed
into an anti-communist liberalism between the 1950s and 1970s and
finally into a kind of militaristic and imperial right with no
precedents in American culture or political history.”

Lind claims this alleged group is part of an “Israel lobby” in the U.S.
government whose ideology is “Trotsky’s theory of the permanent
revolution mingled with the far-right Likud strain of Zionism,”
referring to the Israeli Likud party. His liberal diatribe was picked up
in the pro-Buchanan web site antiwar.com.<<

One of the first such attempts, as far as I know, to connect Trotsky,
neoconservatives and the war in Iraq was written for the National Post
in Canada by a character named Jeet Heer who hangs out on Henwood's
list. I answered him at:
http://www.columbia.edu/~lnp3/mydocs/american_left/JeetHeer.htm

Alan Wald, an SWP alumnus and Solidarity member, answers Lind's article
at: http://hnn.us/articles/1514.html

The main problem with the Militant article is that it downplays the
Zionist connection with respect to the war in Iraq. Although it is a
mistake to explain the war solely in these terms, it is not
"anti-Semitic" to point out that key policy-makers like Feith,
Wolfowitz, Elliot Abrams et al have deep ties to the Likud.

--

The Marxism list: www.marxmail.org