[Marxism] what is Antiwar.com?

Louis Proyect lnp3 at panix.com
Wed Jun 9 09:09:27 MDT 2004

Walter Lippmann wrote:

> What should we do, concentrate all our energy on attacks on
> Kerry over this, because Kerry the Imperialist doesn't have
> a subscription to THE MILITANT?

Walter, you really seem to be suppressing a profound desire to announce
your intention to vote for Kerry. Not everything we learned in the SWP
was all bad. I'd rather eat McDonald's for a month than vote for that creep.

> Trotsky was right when he said that if we put a minus
> everywhere that the enemy puts a plus, it make every crank
> sectarian automatically into a great revolutionary strategist.

During the 1930s, Trotsky characterized the New Deal as a swindle. That
made him sound sectarian at the time as well.

> p.s., COUNTERPUNCH, by the way, recently ran a long piece
> praising the murderers of Maurice Bishop with a column that
> called the so-called "Grenada 17" the "last victims of the
> Cold War. They echo Reagan and the US propaganda machine in
> blaming "Cuban intervention" for the US invasion and then
> occupation of that country.
> http://www.counterpunch.org/gibson06052004.html

Yes, that was written by Rich Gibson, late of Marxmail. When he made
these points here, he was soundly attacked. In any case, Counterpunch
publishes lots of things that are not a "party line". They included an
article by the Political Affairs editor Joel Wendland in praise of
Kerry. There's nothing wrong with ideological diversity, just as long as
it doesn't frighten the horses.

--

The Marxism list: www.marxmail.org