[Marxism] New Iraqi "PM" planted car bombs with CIA

LouPaulsen at comcast.net LouPaulsen at comcast.net
Wed Jun 9 12:20:57 MDT 2004

You've heard about "Iran-Contra"; I suppose "PM" (Puppet Minister) Allawi counts as an Iraq Contra:

>From a Reuters story
http://story.news.yahoo.com/news?tmpl=story&u=/nm/20040609/ts_nm/iraq_allawi_cia_dc&cid=564&ncid=1473

The New York Times reported Wednesday that Allawi's group, the Iraqi National Accord, sent agents into Baghdad in the early 1990s to plant bombs and sabotage government facilities.

It cited former intelligence officials as saying they used car bombs and other explosive devices smuggled into Baghdad from northern Iraq. The bombings, whose effectiveness is disputed, never threatened Saddam's rule, they said.

Allawi did not comment directly on the bombings, which the former Iraqi government claimed caused many civilian casualties, but said he had actively worked to shake the former regime.

"We were in touch with a lot of governments, including the government of the United States, and we were in touch with intelligence agencies across the world who supported the struggle of the Iraqi people to get rid of Saddam," Allawi told reporters.

[Now get this:]

Whether any civilians were killed could not be confirmed because the United States had no significant intelligence sources inside Iraq at that time, the Times said, citing a former CIA official

[Isn't that lovely?  In the first place, during the run-up to the war, the US claimed that it had tons of intelligence sources in Iraq throughout the whole 1990's.  Not to mention the UN "inspectors" who as we now know were functioning as spies.  Now they have no idea what was going on in there!  But in the second place, the New York Times ACCEPTS this and is willing to conclude that the question of whether some car bombs went off and killed civilians, as the government of Iraq claimed, cannot be answered BECAUSE THEY CANNOT FIND A U.S. SPY TO ATTEST TO IT.  There were foreign journalists and U.N. people in and out of Iraq through this whole period!!  We are not talking about some other galaxy!!  Does the NYT completely reject the idea that the media have any responsibility to figure out what really happened, and completely accept the idea that their responsibility is limited to the rubber-stamping of US Intel?]

Lou Paulsen