[Marxism] The problem of the US working class (brief response toMelvin)

Mark Lause MLause at cinci.rr.com
Wed Jun 9 20:17:34 MDT 2004

This is a fascinating discussion, of course, that belies testable
answers at this point.

I keep wondering about this "new era" sense, though.  We are immersed in
a culture that repackages the Same Old Crap as "new and improved."  We
always seem to buy it anyway.  We are trying to define the difference
between one set of circumstances in which our ideas did not spark a
social transformation from another set of circumstances in which our
ideas did not spark a social transformation.  Things change all the
time, but I don't know that the change is essentially a realignment of
classes and class sensibilities.

Moreover, without downplaying the real differences of race and sex,
workers will not just sell out each other quite as happily even if
they're the same race or the same sex.  The problem is a lack of class
consciousness, class identity, etc.  Indeed, as happy as we may be about
the turn of public opinion over the war and of the radically new
awareness of capitalism's destruction of the environment, we are still
faced with this paradox.

Solidarity!
Mark L.