[Marxism] The problem of the US working class (brief response to Melvin)

Mark Lause MLause at cinci.rr.com
Thu Jun 10 20:33:37 MDT 2004

Mike, there are many examples I've seen in my life of what you are
discussing...the workers sticking together in a concrete situation.
These are heartwarming and help us to maintain the faith.  However,
there are also legions of examples where they've not.

One of the toughest things I ever had to do in my life was make the
transition from functioning in the world of work to which I was born and
bred--wage earning blue collar factory fodder--to salary-earning white
collar "professional" work.  I have never seen the latter display a
fraction of those examples of knee-jerk solidarity I experienced in the
former.

Frankly, I think that this divide is vastly greater than most people who
never have to cross it would realize.

Best,
Mark L.