[Marxism] NACLA remembers Reagan

Christopher Carrico ccarrico at temple.edu
Sat Jun 12 07:34:48 MDT 2004

I hope this wasn't posted already...

Fighting Reagan’s Legacy

On June 5, one of the most popular U.S. presidents of the
20th century died peacefully in California. Yet, Ronald
Reagan’s eight years in the White House were far from
peaceful, especially for Central Americans. Since his death,
the mainstream media have heaped praise upon this cold
warrior, constantly reiterating his “great achievements.”
Occasionally, they briefly mention the Iran-Contra scandal
or the record budget deficits run up by this champion of
small government, but for the most part—as during his years
in office—Reagan’s Teflon-coating remains as slick as ever.

While many in the United States remember this “American
hero” fondly, millions of Central Americans recall the havoc
caused by his military and economic policies. Reagan assumed
office in the shadow of the Vietnam War; an era when popular
opposition to U.S. jingoism made direct military
intervention into Third World civil wars politically
impossible. Despite this obstacle, Reagan successfully
escalated U.S. military intervention in Latin America to
levels not seen since the mid-1960s. Arming and training
militaries in El Salvador and Guatemala, and
counterrevolutionaries in Nicaragua, he waged proxy wars
throughout the region. His administration, and many in the
U.S. Congress, turned a blind eye to the Salvadoran Army’s
gross human rights abuses as they funneled more than $4
billion in military and economic aid to that tiny country.
The Reagan administration also blocked regional attempts at
achieving peace, while significantly contributing to the
deaths of some 70,000 Salvadorans and the displacement of
another million, many of whom came to, and remain in, the
United States.

In the mid-1980s, the Iran-Contra scandal broke. In what was
arguably a far greater violation of the U.S. Constitution
than anything perpetrated by the Nixon White House, the
Reagan administration illegally sold weapons to Iran and
used the proceeds to illegally fund counterrevolutionaries
in Nicaragua. Reagan’s Contra war cost 30,000 Nicaraguan
lives and devastated the country’s economy. Additionally,
the World Court found the United States guilty of “unlawful
use of force,” or international terrorism, for its mining of
Nicaragua’s harbors. Never was Reagan’s Teflon-coating more
evident than during the Iran-Contra hearings when the
president repeatedly answered the investigating committee’s
questions by simply stating: “I don’t recall.” Reagan’s
blatant obstruction of justice had little effect on his
popularity ratings and he left office in January 1989 with
the highest approval ratings of any president since FDR.

The Reagan administration’s military exploits extended
beyond Latin America and also left a lasting legacy. It
supplied Afghanistan’s Mujahideen rebels with billions of
dollars in aid and high-tech weaponry, including Stinger
surface-to-air missiles, which helped the Muslim guerrillas
overthrow the Soviet-backed Afghan government. Both the
Taliban government and Osama bin Laden’s Al Qaeda evolved
out of the CIA-supported Mujahideen rebel movement.
Following 9/11, retired Soviet Army General Makmut Goryeev,
a veteran of his country’s war in Afghanistan, reminded the
U.S. public, “Let us not forget that [bin Laden] was created
by your special services to fight against our Soviet troops.
But he got out of their control.”

Reagan’s presidency laid the foundations for a return to pre-
Vietnam era military intervention in Latin America and
elsewhere. Less than a year after he left office, his vice
president and successor George Bush Sr. invaded Panama to
overthrow former-U.S. ally Manuel Noriega, setting the tone
for a return to U.S. international bellicosity that led us
to the present occupation of Iraq. While Reagan may be gone,
his spirit possesses the White House as several of his
cohorts—including John Negroponte, Otto Reich and Elliot
Abrams—populate the current Bush regime.

Not only Reagan’s military policies wrought havoc in Central
America. His economic policies laid the foundation for the
neoliberal onslaught of the 1990s. Reagan used his military
intervention in Central America to restructure the elites in
those countries, ushering into power what sociologist
William Robinson has called the “New Right,” a more
transnationally-oriented ruling group that replaced the old
nationalist-minded oligarchy. This facilitated the
implementation of the neoliberal policies that sent millions
more Central Americans fleeing towards the United States,
this time as economic refugees.

The last NACLA report, “Beyond Revolution: Nicaragua and El
Salvador in a New Era,” illustrated how the region is still
reeling from the Reagan years with regard to violence,
economic hardship and population displacement. In fact,
NACLA critiqued Reagan’s Central America policies throughout
his time in office. This “champion of freedom” responded in
one speech by blaming NACLA for “targeting”
and “destabilizing” the Somoza regime in Nicaragua. His
administration also unleashed the IRS on this small non-
profit institution. Regular audits, however, were not the
only form of harassment endured by NACLA; the organization’s
New York offices were mysteriously burglarized in 1986.

On a personal note, I witnessed the brutal consequences of
Reagan’s Central America doctrine when I was traveling
through El Salvador in 1982. In March of that year, I was
arrested by the Salvadoran Army and imprisoned in the
military base in La Unión. For eight days I was accused of
being a mercenary, interrogated and beaten by Salvadoran
soldiers. But my suffering was miniscule when compared to
that endured by my fellow prisoners. I watched in horror as
soldiers who had been armed and trained with my tax dollars
tortured and raped prisoners.

So while many in the United States are busy glorifying the
Reagan years, let us not forget that he left a legacy of
terror and death in Central America. Sadly, while Reaganites
proudly hail their late leader, many Latin Americans are
still struggling, not only to overcome the trauma endured
during the 1980s, but also against the legacy of Reagan’s
policies.

—Garry Leech

Garry Leech is NACLA's interim editor and editor of Colombia
Journal and author of Killing Peace: Colombia's Conflict and
the Failure of U.S. Intervention and most recently The War
on Terror in Colombia.

http://www.nacla.org