[Marxism] Growth of the productive forces and qualification of labour-power in the United States

Mike Friedman mikedf at mail.amnh.org
Sat Jun 12 16:53:51 MDT 2004

Juriaan,

Your figures on educational attainment are for the population as a whole.
My question would be to what degree does this actually reflect educational
attainment for the working class. The U.S. has a significant petit
bourgeois professional layer, as well as the managerial sector belonging to
the bourgeoisie itself. These could represent 30% of the population and
skew your statistics. The practical significance is that productivity
increase there has indeed been, but this is not linked to an increasingly
educated work-force (rather to rising organic composition). There is a
growing educational gap between workers, particularly oppressed workers,
and other sectors. In the current period (maybe the past 25 years) of
educational cutbacks (when a NY State supreme court judge rules that public
schools are only required to provide up to an eighth grade education --
enough for kids to "fulfill their civic duties"!) and increasing
privatization in and of public schools, this is obviously the case. When I
taught (for five years) at Seward Park High School , an urban "factory"
school, something like 40% of incoming freshman actually graduated. This
seems to be more the norm for working class folks, at least here in NYC.

Mike