[Marxism] Blair Govt election woes mount

shaun cohen shauncohen at ntlworld.com
Sun Jun 13 01:05:50 MDT 2004

After what was dubbed super Thursday because of the number of votes cast New
Labour is trailing third in the popular vote. Once apparently solid safe
Labour councils have been lost.
The far left has picke up a number of council seats around the country and
the neo nazi British National Party have made gains. This is against a
campaign by the popular press and others about asylym seekers and
immigration waged over the last few years.
The IRaqi factor is apparently to blame for Labour's ;osses but it is more
complicated than that. These elections give people the chance to vote
against the Goovernment, there are issues about the health service,
education and the public sector these have al combined together. The actual
Conservative vote is the same as in 2000 and they went on to defeat in the
next General Election in 2001.
The results of the European Elections are not due out until 10.00 pm (UK) it
is expected that the anti EU party UK Independence Party will make gains.
 RESPECT had a very good showing in London and if ballot papers had not
being disqualified in the numbers they were ( we had a new postal voting
system in many areas) they would probably have got representatives onto the
Greater London Authority.

Shaun Cohen