Aquifers, scorpions and coyotes (was Re: [Marxism] Yugoslavia set the stage for Iraq)

Nestor Gorojovsky nestorgoro at fibertel.com.ar
Sun Jun 13 21:46:49 MDT 2004

Respuesta a: [Marxism] Yugoslavia set the stage for Iraq
Remitido por: Louis Proyect
Fecha: Domingo 13 de Junio de 2004
Hora: 19:26
*****

> Neolibs believe they possess the moral authority—the neocon faction like
> to call it “moral clarity”—to murder anybody and everybody who stands
> between them [...] and even aquifers of fresh water.

This may prove prophetic in a very short time.  The Guarani Aquifer,
the largest in South America, straddling the Argentina-Brazil-
Paraguay frontier, has been repeatedly reported as a target for
American imperialism.

The shot may turn against the shooter, however.  There has been a lot
of drum beating on "terrorist connections" in the "Three Frontiers"
area of Arg.-Bra.-Par. recently, in what might well be the
preparatory and preliminary attempt to put the whole area under US
military surveillance if not direct control.

However, the consequence here has been to propel anti-American
feeling in the armed forces of the three countries, most notably the
Brazilian and (so it seems) increasingly the Argentinean military.

Every time the guns of Latin American armed forces stop aiming at
their own populations, and start aiming at imperialist powers, great
risks arise for imperialists.  This is like the story of the
scorpion:  a poisonous scorpion was trying to ford a deep creek, and
found it impossible. Then a small coyote appeared, and the scorpion
proposed that he could cross the creek on the coyote's back, which
the latter was reluctant to accept.  "What if you poison me with your
sting?" was the sensible answer.  "Come on, if I did so _both_ of us
would die. I would drown with you", retorted wisely the scorpion.
"OK", said the coyote.  And the scorpion climbed on the animal's
back.

When they were at the deepest part of the river, the scorpion stuck
his sting in the coyote's body and poisoned him.  "Why did you do it,
idiot?", painfully articulated the aching and moribund coyote, "Both
of us will die now".  "Yes, I know.  But I couldn't help it.  It's in
my nature, you know".

Thus with imperialists.  It's in their nature.

Néstor Miguel Gorojovsky
nestorgoro at fibertel.com.ar

Buenos Aires, 1822