[Marxism] Losing the "War on Terror" and Cooking the Books to Hide It

Yoshie Furuhashi furuhashi.1 at osu.edu
Tue Jun 15 18:17:08 MDT 2004

Eli wrote:

>It's even worse than that. Because the report says that there were
>307 people in acts of terrorism in 2003, including 35 US citizens.
>But there were 482 U.S. soldiers killed in Iraq in 2003, and 93
>other "coalition" soldiers, and we are told literally every day that
>the invasion of Iraq was  part of the "war on terror" and  the
>"central front in the war on terrorism." OK, some of that number
>were killed in traffic accidents, etc., but there were certainly a
>large number who were killed by car bombs, IEDs, etc., all of which
>the U.S. government is happy to call "terrorism" on the day it
>happens, but evidentally manages to "forget" that description when
>it comes time to adding up the acts of terrorism for the year.
>[Note: I'm not saying  these WERE acts of terrorism, just that the
>U.S. government repeatedly says so] And I haven't even counted
>deaths in Afghanistan, for which the same story applies.

The State Department's own definition of terrorism is much narrower
than what politicians and the media use to dumb down political
discourse in public:

No one definition of terrorism has gained universal acceptance. For
the purposes of this report, however, we have chosen the definition
of terrorism contained in Title 22 of the United States Code, Section
2656f(d). That statute contains the following definitions:

The term terrorism means premeditated, politically motivated violence
perpetrated against noncombatant1 targets by subnational groups or
clandestine agents, usually intended to influence an audience.

The term international terrorism means terrorism involving citizens
or the territory of more than one country.

The term terrorist group means any group practicing, or that has
significant subgroups that practice, international terrorism.

The US Government has employed this definition of terrorism for
statistical and analytical purposes since 1983.

Domestic terrorism is probably a more widespread phenomenon than
international terrorism. Because international terrorism has a direct
impact on US interests, it is the primary focus of this report.
However, the report also describes, but does not provide statistics
on, significant developments in domestic terrorism.

1 For purposes of this definition, the term noncombatant is
interpreted to include, in addition to civilians, military personnel
who at the time of the incident are unarmed and/or not on duty. For
example, in past reports we have listed as terrorist incidents the
murders of the following US military personnel: Col. James Rowe,
killed in Manila in April 1989; Capt. William Nordeen, US defense
attache killed in Athens in June 1988; the two servicemen killed in
the Labelle discotheque bombing in West Berlin in April 1986; and the
four off-duty US Embassy Marine guards killed in a cafe in El
Salvador in June 1985. We also consider as acts of terrorism attacks
on military installations or on armed military personnel when a state
of military hostilities does not exist at the site, such as bombings
against US bases in Europe, the Philippines, or elsewhere.

<http://www.state.gov/s/ct/rls/pgtrpt/2003/31880.htm>
--
Yoshie

* Critical Montages: <http://montages.blogspot.com/>