[Marxism] Debt bondage and a contour of the class hierarchy in 21st century capitalism

Jurriaan Bendien andromeda246 at hetnet.nl
Wed Jun 16 14:36:02 MDT 2004

How does it feel to be one of the beautiful people? - "Baby you're a rich
man", The Beatles

"[With] the autonomisation of the world market.... institutions emerge
whereby each individual can acquire information about the activity of all
others and attempt to adjust his own accordingly... Although on the given
standpoint, alienation is not overcome by these means, nevertheless
relations and connections are introduced thereby which include the
possibility of the old standpoint (The possibility of general statistics,
etc.)... Universal prostitution appears as a necessary phase in the
development of the social character of personal talents, capacities,
abilities, activities. More politely expressed: the universal relation of
utility and use. The equation of the incompatible, as Shakespeare nivcely
defined money." - Karl Marx, 1857.

"A person enters debt bondage when their labour is demanded as a means of
repayment of a loan, or of money given in advance. Usually, people are
tricked or trapped into working for no pay or very little pay (in return for
such a loan), in conditions which violate their human rights. Invariably,
the value of the work done by a bonded labourer is greater that the original
sum of money borrowed or advanced. Debt bondage is a form of enslavement
which is both ancient and modern.  http://www.devp.org/slavery/bondage.html

 "The private control of credit is the modern form of slavery." - Upton
Sinclair

Slavery Is Very Popular Today. When you borrow money, the fruit of your
labor builds the lender's wealth, rather than your own. Our culture used to
consider this a curse. Now we've simply changed the vocabulary and grown
comfortable with our chains. "So now today we are slaves here in the land of
plenty that You gave to our ancestors! We are slaves among all this
abundance!" Nehemiah 9:36 At Steffen Group, we always encourage taking
aggressive steps for freedom. If incurring short term debt is warranted, we
recommend doing so with your eyes wide open. 'Call a spade a spade'.
http://steffengroup.com/corporate/debt_is_slavery.htm

"If the reverend gentleman had worked on the plantations where I have been,
he would have met overseers who would have whipped him in five minutes out
of his willingness to wait for liberty." - Frederick Douglass

"I love Network. It stars William Holden, Faye Dunaway, Peter Finch, Robert
Duvall, Ned Beatty, Beatrice Straight and others. It is directed by Sidney
Lumet and written by Paddy Chayefsky. Finch plays Howard Beale, the news
anchor of UBS a fictitious major TV network. Beale is being removed due to
low ratings so he announces on the air to millions watching that he will
commit suicide during one of his next broadcasts so millions may watch his
death. The ratings will go up for a while he says with great sarcasm. This
begins the movie and a roller coaster ride of madness. Beale is removed but
Faye Dunaway has other ideas. She takes advantage of his madness and
rantings about the decay of society and the need to express anger over our
lack of control of life. She succeeds in placing him back on TV where he is
a "mad prophet of the airwaves denouncing the hypocrisies of our times."
Beale appears to be a much needed catharsis for the American TV public. He
asks viewers to go to their windows, stick their heads out and shout as loud
as they can, "I'm as mad as hell and I'm not going to take it anymore!"
Dunaway, of course, is interested in how many people are shouting instead of
Beale's mental health. Ratings! Ratings! Ratings=Money=Power!
http://members.tripod.com/~movie_pal/network.html

"How and why are there 27 million slaves in the world today? It is quite
complex." http://www.westsideuu.org/030907.htm

Jurriaan