[Marxism] Building Class Consciousness

B. Castleberry bcastleberry1hsd at earthlink.net
Wed Jun 16 23:19:56 MDT 2004

Julio Huato wrote:
 >While each of us needs to struggle wherever she/he can make the biggest
difference, the first compromise is to focus single-mindedly on the set of
economic needs that objectively put workers on a common political platform,
even if it is at the expense of other differences that mean A LOT to
smaller
segments of the class.  Dispersed light doesn't even itch.  A laser beam
can
cut steel.  All workers in the U.S. are under the threat of unemployment
and
suffer from intolerable insecurity.  IMO, the common ground is
full-employment policies, a generalized safety net beginning with the
workers' children, universal health insurance, and effective and
equitably-funded public education.<

Bravo, Mr. Huato, an excellent posting.  My own opinion is that
universal health insurance is the preemminent issue.  You would have not
only workers and small businessmen but providers, (hospitals and the
medical profession), allied against the insurance and pharmaceutical
industries.  I have not seen a better formulation of what our program
should be than your words, "...to focus single-mindedly on the set of
economic needs that objectively put workers on a common political
platform, even if it is at the expense of other differences that mean A
LOT to smaller segments of the class".

BC.