Fwd: [Marxism] Re: Real Left Unity

Louis Proyect lnp3 at panix.com
Thu Jun 17 11:21:13 MDT 2004

paul bunyan wrote:
"I feel one of the major mistakes of the 80's by activist resisting US
attacks against Nicaragua, was instead of building anti-intervention
organizations, was in building solidarity type ones, which implied
uncritical support of the Scandalista leadership in that country, as the
basis of unity. I say we stick with the anti-Vietnam War model."

There actually were both types of formations. Sister Cities projects,
etc. provided solidarity while united front coalitions led by Ramsey
Clark mounted periodic demonstrations in Washington. They unfortunately
were not as broad as they should have been. Also, since US ground troops
were not involved in Central America as they are in Iraq today, the
movement lacked the kind of intensity it has today. As far as the FSLN
is concerned, it was beaten into the ground by a combination of
Reaganism and Kremlin betrayal, so I wouldn't blame them too much.

--

The Marxism list: www.marxmail.org