[Marxism] Moderator's note

Louis Proyect lnp3 at panix.com
Thu Jun 17 13:47:34 MDT 2004

Walter Lippmann wrote:
> You may not like the tough and blunt manner in which
> Melvin rejects your argument, but if you would stand
> back a bit and reflect, he's actually quite correct, it
> seems to me.
>
> What does it meant to "criticize China"? A whole country?
> Even this concept of "criticism" which is so frequently
> batted about is, in my view, not the best way to have a
> fruitful exchange of viewpoints.

I have known David Walters for nearly 10 years on the Internet. He might
not always express himself fluently in prose, but he was referring to
the government of China beyond any doubt. We have had two outbursts in
the past couple of days about formulations such as these. Since I am
thick-skinned, I didn't mind being accused of being objectively
pro-imperialist because I used the term British Isles. However, this
business about white chauvinism has no business here. Just because
somebody expresses himself imprecisely, we should not engage in the kind
of condemnation that was ubiquitous to the 1960s when small
revolutionary groups were always purging people for having one sort of
prejudice or another. There certainly is male chauvinism, white
chauvinism, etc. on the left, but until I see an egregious case of this
kind on the list, I am inclined to urge people to refrain from such
characterizations.

--

The Marxism list: www.marxmail.org